If you are curious in becoming a travel blogger then this article is definitely for you. It will not only help you identify whether travel blogging is right for you, but also help you to know what it takes to be a travel blogger. It will help you analyse what should be done to make this dream a reality. Follow the simple steps and learn how to start a travel blog.
This blog includes:
- Why you should be starting a Travel blog
- Things you require to be Travel Blogger
- Problems which Travel bloggers face
- List of Top 10 Travel bloggers
- How much money do Travel bloggers make
- How can you start a Travel blog in 7 minutes
- Best Hosting + Domains for Travel blogging
- How to setup wordpress blog
- Top Travel Blogging WordPress Themes
- Few essential Travel Blogging Plugins
- Freebies from my end to Upcoming Travel Bloggers
You love to travel? Well so do a lot of people. You want to share your experiences? Well so do a lot of people. Tell any realistic person, your friend, spouse, parent or boss about this dream and this is the reply you will most likely get.
- What most people fail to realize is the magic of words and the beauty of stories. How talking about our experiences is a chance to relive our most precious travel memories, to be some place else once more, and to be able to experience it as if for the very first time. It is your very own time machine. This euphoria is contagious, it forms a connection with the soul of your reader and gives flight to their desire to travel and experience it for themselves.
- The world today is online. Be it for an answer to a arduous problem, or a way to connect with an old friend, or order food, medicines and groceries or book flight tickets, we are going digital. So why not use this platform to connect with people who share your love for travelling. Why not use this to fuel your dream of travelling to every nook and corner of this world before you sit down to write your bucket list. A blog is just that.
- Starting a travel blog can be nerve wrecking for a lot of people but think of it as an unexpected journey. If you believe it will be the greatest adventure of your life.
- Most avid travellers love to capture or steal a few moments of their travel in the form of travelogues, pictures, post cards, souvenirs and so on. So why not capture your travel stories in the form of a blog. It is simple once you understand the technicalities of it and you can even make some money from it.
- There are many travelers in the industry who have used blogs to create a readership base and made money from their websites which they use for their trips. So why not you?
- The travel blogging dream like romance has been over dramatised and simplified by movies today. If you think that a travel blogger armed with a laptop is sitting on the beach admiring the sunset and writing about his experiences or is at the edge of a mountain, or sitting in a tree house in the wild and writing down his escaped drink in one hand and laptop in another then get ready to face reality. Does the hotel Wi-Fi come up to the beach, is there accessibility at the edge of a mountain?
- As a travel blogger you need to think in terms of your next blog. Think about things like internet connection, charged laptop, a good camera, pen drives, memory cards and so on.
- The camera is your eye. It will help you show the world what you see with your eyes. Please invest in a good camera and make sure you learn about all of its features and how to operate it and how to clean it.
- Next, keep a habit of saving all the tickets and bills whether food bills or activity bills. This will help you give an expense estimate to your readers, help them figure out a budget.
- Always find out alternative options for your readers. Like Hotels, Bed and Breakfast, home stay, hostels and so on or if you are out to have something, then find out the specialty of the area, what are the other food options, which is the cheapest and the most expensive thing, what are the options for non-vegetarians, vegetarians and vegans. What are the places to see, how to get there, timings, requirements and so on. Keep a record of all these things and mention them in your blog.
- When you start travel blogging you start to think travel on that basis, your perspective changes. Learn to incorporate this with your travel plans. Use this to fuel your travel dreams and not to hold you back. If you have fun on the trip, it will show through your writing, so have fun!
- You need to do a lot of industry research. This will help you plan your trip better.
- You will need a lot of initial investment. Not just in terms of equipment like camera, lenses, tent, sleeping bags and so on but also to pay for some of your initial trips.
- Please do not be under the impression that once you start a travel blog you will start getting sponsors for your next trip or your blog will immediately start making you money. It will take some time before you start earning a profit from your blogs.
- You need to put in a lot of time to build your name in this industry.
- A lot of times you may not get good pictures or you may not be allowed to take pictures. Always check what are the policy regarding camera and other equipment and work with them.
- Try to get other travel bloggers to write for your blog. This will ensure that there is always good content on your blog. Plus your readers will love that you are getting them different perspectives, places and travel bloggers.
- Sometimes even after careful planning, things do not go as planned. Be ready for contingency situations. If you miss the bus, what are your other options? If the lighting is bad, how can you get a picture? If the hotels are booked what is the next best option? Think ahead to get ahead.
Money earned by travel blogger is quite good, it ranges from 200$ to 2500$ for starting few months but it increase gradually with the time. While in present well established travel bloggers are earning more than 10000$ per month.
How Travel bloggers Earn Money –
There are various sources through travel bloggers can earn money such as brand endorsements, brand collaboration, affiliate marketing, selling of e-books/research, YouTube advertisement, selling of web space through ad networks and few more. You can even search about the income report of top travel bloggers where they not only mention how much money they own, but also specifies from which source they earned it.
Here’s the perfect answer how a travel blogger earn/make money from his blog.
7 minutes!! Yes, you read it right you just need to follow several steps and within the stated time you will be ready with your own travel blog and if you are not able to do it I’ll personally help you to set up your first blog and that to free cost this is just because if you sign up from web hosting through my recommended service provider I’ll be receiving commission at no extra cost to you.
For starting a Travel blog you need 3 things – Hosting, Domain & Theme. I’ve got everything for you.
Hosting Space for Travel bloggers
Hosting Space is basically a place on internet where your blog will be hosted. Initially I’ll recommend that to start a travel blog you should opt for shared hosting as it is cost effective and will help you to invest in other equipments you are looking to start your blog
Now as you know that you need to purchase shared word press hosting space but the question arising will be from where & which shared hosting to buy? to name a few there are services providers like – hostgator, bluehost, flywheel, siteground and many more. But if you ask me I’ll recommend you to choose – bluehost, as it is one of the best hosting every blogger prefers as well as it has the unique feature of one click installation of wordpress blog. This is a major reason why I recommend it to you as you don’t require developer skills to install it
Domain Name for Travel bloggers
Domain name is a name/ address of your blog. for example – theunstitchd.com is a domain name. Where should you buy domain name for your Travel blog? You don’t need to think about this, as when you choose to buy hosting space from bluehost, you get it free along with it.
Here you will find the plans which bluehost offers. I would recommend you to start with the basic plan one for your first two years of your blogging career.
After choosing a blog domain name, you will land here. Here you need to sign up by filling all the mandatory information required.
Once you’ve filled the details, next step is to select the hosting package and there is also option to select the backup & security package. I have few tools/way wherein you wont require additional amount to be paid. Just select the package here & move ahead.
Finally, you are at the last stage where you just need to pay. and then check your mail box for confirmation of your login details.
Once that you’ve purchased the hosting, now your 70% work has been done. Now you just need to login to your account and simply install.
Click Install WordPress Button and simply follow the steps below.
Select the Domain. And keep the Directory empty/blank.
Add a title, username & password. And click install now. You’re done! Now you can open your domain name on your browser and have a look at your website. If you want to go to your admin panel type in your domain name and add – /wp-admin to your domain – example – mydomain.com/wp-admin
These days, there are millions of wordpress themes available for bloggers, but how should you shortlist the right one. To make that easy I have shortlisted 10 best wordpress themes for travel blog based on these features – easy to install, mobile responsive, SEO optimised theme for your blog. Here are the top 10 Travel blog theme which I have shortlisted for your wordpress Travel blog.
List of top 10 Theme for your Travel Blog
- Travel Log
- Cook Traveller
- Discover Travel
- Mini Minimal
Get more Interesting Travel blog theme here.
In simple term, Plugins are code made simple into application for your Travel blog to get things done without knowing coding. For example adding a like box or a sharing panel on your blog can be a difficult task as you are not a developer. But with the help of plugins, you can quickly add stuffs you want. I have shortlisted few best free plugins that you will require to start your blog.
List of Free Plugins for your Travel Blog
Starting from launching your blog till getting your first 1000 visitors for your Travel blog, I have made this bundle of freebies for your blog which includes a Travel blog theme, list of accounts you need to make for your new blog, important Travel blogging tips, how to get 1000+ visitors on your blog organically and last but not least a Travel content calendar & timing on when and where to post.