If you are interested in becoming a Photography blogger then this article is for you. It will help you identify whether this is the right way for you, if you have what it takes to be a Photo blogger. It will help you analyse how to go about it to make some money. Here’s a simple guide for you to Learn How to start a Photography Blog.
This blog includes:
- Why you should be starting a Photography blog
- Things you require to be Photography Blogger
- Problems which Photography bloggers face
- List of Top 10 Photography bloggers
- How much money do Photography bloggers make
- How can you start a Photography blog in 7 minutes
- Best Hosting + Domains for Photography blogging
- How to setup wordpress blog
- Top Photography Blogging WordPress Themes
- Few essential Photography Blogging Plugins
- Freebies from my end to Upcoming Photography Bloggers
You love to do Photography? Well so do a lot of people.
You want to share your experiences? Well so do a lot of people.
Tell any realistic person, your friend, spouse, parent or boss about this dream and this is the reply you will most likely get.
- What most people fail to realize is that pictures capture moments.
- They tell beautiful stories.
- They help us show people how we see things. It shows as much about the subject as much as it reveals about the photographer.
- It helps connect with the soul of your reader and inspires them to tell their stories in a similar manner.
- The world today is gone digital. This makes it very easy for you to connect with people who share your love for photography and continue the process of learning.
- It will give you the opportunity to make some money and in time use it to support your love for photography.
- Most amateur photographers lose their love for the art in the daily hustle and bustle of life. This is a great chance for you to keep your passion alive.
- You can use the blog to de-stress and rejuvenate, to escape from your reality for a few stolen moments captured in time forever.
- Starting a blog can be nerve wrecking for a lot of people but think of it as an unexpected journey. If you believe it will be the greatest adventure of your life.
- A blog is a great way to showcase your work.
1. The first step would be to make sure that your foundations are strong. Go back to your basics and learn all there is to learn theoretically about the different camera angles, lenses, exposure, developing photos, taking prints, handling, cleaning and maintain your gear, and so on…
2. I would also recommend taking a couple of photography workshops or an internship with a skilled photographer, to gain a different perspective.
3. Next you need to identify what kind of photography do you wish to explore, where does your true talent lay? There are various options like:
- Amateur Photography
- Commercial Photography like Advertising, Magazines and so on…
- Fashion Photography
- Event Photography
- Food Photography
- Still Life Photography
- Wedding Photography
- Landscape Photography
- Wildlife Photography and so on…
4. Most of your equipment will stay same: camera, lenses, tripod and ball-head, lighting gear, editing software, a calibrated monitor, flash, filters, camera bag, cleaning equipment like lenses cloths, cleaning spray, and camera sensor cleaning equipment, battery, memory cards, however depending on your choice, you may need a few specialized equipment’s. A wildlife of landscape photographer will need more natural lighting whereas a wedding or fashion photographer will require more lighting equipment.
5. You will need to acquaint yourself with the various photo-editing techniques and softwares.
- You will encounter copyright claims so make sure you understand the law, how to copyright your own images and what to do in case of copyright claims.
- You will need a lot of initial investment. Camera equipment is very dear especially if you do not wish to compromise on quality. Make sure you check for secondhand options first.
- Before taking pictures in a public place, make sure you take proper permissions, be it a road or a natural heritage or a sanctuary. A lot of times you may not get good pictures or you may not be allowed to take pictures. Always check what are the policy regarding camera and other equipment and work with them.
- Please do not be under the impression that once you start a Photography blog you will start making money immediately. It will take some while for the blog to start making some profit. You need to put in a lot of time to build your name in this industry.
- Try to get other Photography bloggers to write for your blog. This will ensure that there is always good content on your blog. Plus your readers will love that you are getting them different perspectives, and bloggers.
Making money is not at all difficult through blogs, you can easily earn around $700 to $4500 per month & can complete your passion with quite a good amount of money being received. So blogging basically pay you for following your passion.
How Photography bloggers Earn Money –
Photography blogger earn money from different sources like – Brand endorsements, affiliate marketing, YouTube advertisement, selling of web space through ad networks and few more. The best way to check how much money do a photography bloggers make, is to search for the top photography blogger’s income report. There they not only mention how much money they own, but also mention from which sources they earned.
Here’s a perfect answer how a Photography blogger earns/make money from his blog.
7 minutes!! Yes, you read it right you just need to follow several steps and within the stated time you will be ready with your own photography blog and if you are not able to do it I’ll personally help you out to make your blog that to free cost this is just because if you sign up form web hosting through my recommended service provider I’ll be receiving commission at no extra cost to you.
For starting a Photography blog you need 3 things – Hosting, Domain & Theme. I’ve got everything for you.
Hosting Space for Photography bloggers
Hosting Space is a place on the internet where your blog will be hosted. To start a Photography blog you must go for shared hosting for your initial period as it is not only suitable for your need but also fits your budget which will help you to invest in equipments you are looking out for your blog.
Now that you know that you have to buy a shared wordpress hosting space, but from where & which shared hosting to buy? To name a few there are services providers like – hostgator, bluehost, flywheel, siteground and many more. But if you ask me I’ll recommend you to choose – bluehost, It is amongst one of the best hosting every blogger prefers.
There is one more reason why I recommend bluehost, As it has a unique feature of one click installation of wordpress blog. This is a major reason why I recommend it to you as you don’t require developer skills to install it.
Domain Name for Photography bloggers
Domain name is a name/ address of your blog. for example – thevegfood.com is a domain name. Where should you buy domain name for your Photography blog? You don’t need to think about this, as when you choose to buy hosting space from bluehost, you get it free along with it.
Here you will find the plans which bluehost offers. I would recommend you to start with the basic plan one for your first two years of your blogging career.
After choosing a blog domain name, you will land here. Here you need to sign up by filling all the mandatory information required.
Once you’ve filled the details, next step is to select the hosting package and there is also option to select the backup & security package. I have few tools/way wherein you wont require additional amount to be paid. Just select the package here & move ahead.
Finally, you are at the last stage where you just need to pay. and then check your mail box for confirmation of your login details.
Once that you’ve purchased the hosting, now your 70% work has been done. Now you just need to login to your account and simply install.
Click Install WordPress Button and simply follow the steps below.
Select the Domain. And keep the Directory empty/blank.
Add a title, username & password. And click install now. You’re done! Now you can open your domain name on your browser and have a look at your website. If you want to go to your admin panel type in your domain name and add – /wp-admin to your domain – example – mydomain.com/wp-admin
These days, there are millions of wordpress themes available for bloggers, but how should you shortlist the right one. To make that easy I have shortlisted 10 best wordpress themes for Photography blog based on these features – easy to install, mobile responsive, SEO optimised theme for your blog. Here are the top 10 Photography blog theme which I have shortlisted for your wordpress Photography Blog.
List of top 10 Theme for your Photography Blog
- Scarlett – WordPress Blog & Ecommerce Theme
- Ness – Minimalist Photo Magazine WordPress Theme
- Jack – Clean Modern Blogging & Photography Theme
- Bloggo – Personal, Travel, Photography, Lifestyle, Writer, Fashion Blog Theme
- Byblog – Responsive WordPress Blog Theme
- Paperio – Responsive and Multipurpose WordPress Blog Theme
- Fotomag – A Silky Minimalist Blogging Magazine WordPress Theme For Visual Storytelling
- Essentialist — A Narrative WordPress Blog Theme
- Aerin – Personal & Magazine WordPress Responsive Clean Blog Theme
- Wolverine – Responsive WordPress Magazine and Blog Theme
Get more Interesting Photography blog theme here.
In simple term, Plugins are code made simple into application for your photography blog to get things done without knowing coding. For example adding a like box or a sharing panel on your blog can be a difficult task as you are not a developer. But with the help of plugins, you can quickly add stuffs you want. I have shortlisted few best free plugins that you will require to start your Photography blog.
List of Free Plugins for your Photography Blog
Starting from launching your Photography blog till getting your first 1000 visitors for your Photography blog, I have made this freebies bundle for your blog which includes a Photography blog theme, list of accounts you need to make for your new blog, important Photography blogging tips, how to get 1000+ visitors on your blog organically and last but not least a Photography blog content calendar & timing on when and where to post.